Tuesday, November 29, 2011

A whole week

has gone by already?  How is it that I only manage such infrequent posts?

So this should be a quick one tonight.  I'm in the midst of finishing my fabric baskets that I saw on Pinterest from here, who links here for the tutorial.  It's easy, just time consuming when you're doing four at once.  If I was just doing one it would have been super quick. 

This project has brought to my attention the fact that I need a bigger rotary cutting mat and clear quilting ruler.  My mat is 20 some odd inches tall and maybe 15 wide, which is adequate for most projects.  My ruler is 10x10.  FAR from adequate.  I used to have a bigger one, no idea where it is.  I really wish I had it for these baskets.  They start out as 15x15 squares.  I had to hunt around the house for something that was 15" to use as a template.  I found Emme's little chalkboard.  Once I got past that hurdle, it was smooth sailing....until I got to the assembly of the 3 layers. 

Is it me, or does she (the sometimes crafter) forget to mention what to do/how to put the interfacing in her basket?  Never fear, I figured it out.  Unfortunately they don't fit right.  The tutorial says to cut the outside layer to 15x15, the interfacing to 15x15 and the lining 14 7/8x14 7/8.  This was so the lining fits and there isn't any extra fabric.  The interfacing has to go inside the outside fabric too, so why is it the same size?  Wish I had asked myself that question before I started sewing.  The boxes are wonky on the inside.  They don't sit right because of the extra interfacing inside.  Also, from turning the baskets right side out and crumpling up the interfacing, it doesn't hold it's shape as well as before the turn.

I've only sewn one but will continue by those directions.  If I make more, which I probably will, I think I'll assemble them right side out and add quilt binding to the top or just fold it in and sew it for the finished edge.  I also added handles like in the first link, but I think mine are too big.  Going to attempt to shorten them for the following three baskets.  Overall, it's a great tutorial, and I never would have thought to make them without it, but I would just change a few things.  Next time I'll make them bigger, too.  15x15 is great for their original intended purpose, not so much for mine.  They are going to be my "crap" baskets for the stairs.  They're great for my crap, but not so much for Emme's toys.  I'm sure once I make the bigger ones that I can repurpose these though.  I do love them!

Here's my first finished one.

See the huge handles?



I'll be back tomorrow with updates on how my wreath turned out and some soap!

No comments:

Post a Comment