Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Simplicity Cynthia Rowley Sew Along - Prep


Welcome!  This is my first sew along so hang in there and point it out if I skip something or it's confusing.  I highly recommend reading over my directions and pictures before you actually start sewing each week's section just to be sure I didn't mess up or confuse you :).

So here's what you'll need:



Simplicity 1873 by Cynthia Rowley in the correct size.  It comes in 6-12 and 14-22.

Fabric of your choice.  The amount is on the back of the envelope based on your size.


Pick your dress view and size.  You'll notice under the dress there's a 45" and 60" option.  This is the width of the fabric.  It'll be printed on the end of the bolt where the price is.  If you can't find it, ask the person cutting your fabric :).

Let's measure.  Measure the fullest part of your bust, the smallest part of your waist (above your belly button - where you see the center of the hourglass) and over your hip bones.  Hip measurement really isn't important in this pattern though.  

Make sure the tape is comfortable around you.  Don't pull it super tight, that's not an accurate measurement.  Give yourself room to slide a couple of fingers between the tape and your body. The general rule is if you have bulging on either side of the tape, it's too tight!

That's it.  Find your fabric, buy your pattern.  Then come back here and post pictures of your fabric and what dress you're going to make.  Fun!

I've picked a basic aqua Kona cotton.  If this is your first dress, I would suggest picking a plain fabric or one with an all over print that doesn't need to be matched.  Stripes, plaids, etc., will be more difficult.

Happy shopping!!

2 comments:

  1. Hello! So tonight is "catching up on blog posts" night ;)
    I have picked a floral cotton to make view C. Since I am not very tall, view C might just arrive at the knee for me, which would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! I'm so glad you're doing the sew along too. I can't wait to see your progress. Hmmm, maybe I should make a Pinterest board for everyone to share pictures of fabric and progress, etc. since it seems you can't post pictures in the comments. I want to see all the pretty fabric! Happy sewing :)

    ReplyDelete