Thursday, May 1, 2014

Sew along part 2

So hopefully you've all purchased your pattern and fabric, zippers, etc.

Determine which view you're making.  I'm making C with B's skirt.  With the size of my rear, I can't do a short skirt.  Sad because my legs have gotten pretty toned.  Can't get rid of my big butt heritage unfortunately lol.


Look over the piece list and mark (or not, your choice.  I don't want to seem like a dictator or anything).  Cut your pieces out following your size lines.  

Cutting your fabric
If you're experienced cutting, you can ignore this.  If you're not, I highly recommend that you follow the suggested layout for cutting.  It lists it by size and fabric width.  I found it really helpful when I first started.  I no longer follow it basically because I'm cheap.  There can be quite a bit if fabric waste.  Now I underestimate the yardage and am usually able to get them all in doing my own layout.


If you're going to wing it (or are having trouble following the diagram - I've been there!). I recommend starting with the pieces that need to be on the fold.  The skirt front and bodice front.  Then do the rest of the skirt pieces.  When I got to the back piece, it was too wide to fit with my fabric folded the way it came on the bolt. I had to unfold it completely and re-fold.


You can see the center crease, that was where it was folded.  

If you're familiar with the triangles, ignore me.  If not.  Cut them like this:


They're to help you line up your pieces.  

Cut all of your pieces.  Only one set for the skirt.  With the pleats, there's too much bulk to do a lining (I intended to line my skirt until I saw how much fabric was used for the skirt.)

Marking your pieces

After you've cut everything you need to transfer your markings.  You can transfer them with chalk or a disappearing ink pen.  I've had bad luck with them that probably has more to do with me not reading the packaging than the pen itself.  I prefer the quick marking system (the lazy way.  That's a theme with me.). I mark with pins.




I just flip up the pattern at the half way mark of the circle in the top darts.  Then I fold the top layer of fabric up and mark under it for the second piece/layer.  You will have to transfer the pins on the bottom piece to the opposite side.  Just an FYI.  This is the quickest method I've found.  



Same goes for the pleats.



Done.  Ready to sew?  I start tonight!  I'll have the bodice post up in the next day or two hopefully.  

Thank goodness for having to sit in the dentist chair waiting for my mouth to far numb for a filling.  Gave me just enough time to do this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment